A couple of weeks ago Morgan and I began to volunteer at the Orphanage located 2 miles away from the school. Along the way we walk past farms and through neighborhoods. As we walk we see people fetching water at nearby creeks and greet young adults at the secondary school- they are usually eager to practice their English. We see small children outside their modest brick homes playing. Between smiles they usually greet us with ‘Good Morning,’ even though it is late afternoon. (They have school in the mornings and know that English greeting.) One boy always shouts ‘Take my picha!’ He assumes that we have a camera with us, we never have. Someday we will have to bring one.
When we arrive at the orphanage we are immediately greeted by children saying ‘bebe,’ hold me. I usually try to resist picking one up right away to avoid jealously from the other kids, but eventually I give in. After a few minutes I wish I had 20 pairs of arms so I could carry multiple at one time. Sometimes I carry two, but I think I will need to spend more time in the gym to do too much more ☺
While at the orphanage we usually play on the playground with the kids. They enjoy being pushed on the swings or twirled on the Mary-go-round. It doesn’t take long for me to get tired; I am always in awe of the energy the have.
When we were there yesterday I was sitting with a group of kids and a boy had motioned me to hold the baby he was carrying. I agreed and took the child. He ran away and came back with its twin. I was shocked at the selflessness of the boy. I don’t think many kids his age would have wanted attention anywhere but on himself. He wanted me to carry one, so both could be held.
When I am playing with the kids I forget that most have faced more hardship then I will ever be able to image. They have been forced to grow up at young ages and look out for their younger siblings and peers. I forget that many are left without both parents. I can’t imagine and I probably never will be able to.
In the mean time- I look forward to future visits- michael
It's a great place, kaka. Enjoy it. The kids are so much fun.
ReplyDelete