Friday, October 22, 2010

Fire. Drought. Bloom.



If you look closely at the above picture, you will see a large fire in the mountains. It started a couple of days ago and we have anxiously watched it move its way across the mountain. They are unsure how the fire started; however, I don't think there is much doubt that it was started on purpose. The semi-deforested mountains are so dry, I can image that things are burning very quickly.

Burning is quite common in the Morogoro area. When we travel to villages we pass many acres of burned land. From what I understand, much of the land is burned to keep the Maasai from letting their cattle graze on it. I am not sure what is worse- the affects of frequent burning or overgrazing.

Since I have been here I can remember it raining 3 times. The first two for a couple of minutes and the third for about five. Although it is technically the 'dry' season, it has been unusually so. As a result of the drought the everyday struggles of the dry season have been exaggerated. Yesterday when Pastor Hafermann was on a village visit he told us that people were now only eating one meal a day.

On a lighter note, despite the lack of rain, everything is beginning to look unusually green. One of the Baobab trees on the grounds has started to produce flowers and leaves. Below are pictures.

Enjoy the day- michael




No comments:

Post a Comment