Thursday, September 16, 2010

Jana nilikula katika nyumba ya rafiki

After 4 days of Swahili Class I can officially say that I am fluent! Okay, maybe not fluent. I only know a few words and sentences, but overall I would say class is going well.

We have class three times a day for a total of five hours. Throughout the day we have two breaks for tea and a two and a half hour lunch break. The schedule is much more relaxed then I am used to but it has been a nice change. Below is a picture of where I have class!




Learning a language is not one of my strengths. However, I think most who have learned a language can say that at some point it all sounds the same. This is what happened to me today. During our afternoon class I was practicing saying “Jana nilikula katika nyumba ya rafiki” (Yesterday I ate lunch at my friends house). After repeating this phrase many times and a couple distractions I said, “Jana nilikula mbwa. . . ” (Yesterday I ate dog). To say the least, we got a couple of laughs.

Tomorrow will wrap up this week of class. Saturday and Sunday we will be going on village visits.

Below are a few pictures that I have taken the past couple of days.

Take care- michael







1 comment:

  1. Michael these pictures look amazing. I'm glad to here that you're having such a great time while studying aboard. It is really neat that both you and Morgan have this wonderful opportunity to study aboard in Tanzania. Totally jealous! :) I have always wanted to travel and study aboard, but I could never seem to fit it into my schedule.

    Hope you are having lots of fun,
    Doug

    ReplyDelete